House of Troy was founded in 1947 by Everett Bailey in Montreal, Canada. Mr. Bailey, operated a small custom lamp manufacturing company selling to gift and department stores in the Montreal area. His son, Norm, took over the business in 1960, and began specializing in picture lights. He moved the business to Troy, Vermont in 1962. Hence the name House of Troy.